The Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering offers a graduate course, which is divided into a twoyear course (zenki-katei, or Master's Course) and a subsequent three-year course (koki-katei or Doctoral Course). Students that complete the courses are granted a master's degree (shushi-go) and doctor's degree (hakushi-go), respectively.
Basic Biomedical Engineering Course
- The purpose of the course is to shed light on the basic principles of medicine and biology using biomedical engineering knowledge and technology.
- The course will train biomedical engineering researchers.
- Complete basic education will be provided to help students gain and build upon a thorough understanding of basic principles.
- Students are expected to become world-class researchers by launching into world-class level master's and doctoral studies.
- For that reason, the level of experience and international exchange will be raised by promoting international internships (training at companies in other countries) and international itinerant (itinerant studies at affiliated schools in other countries) education.
Clinical Engineering Course
- The purpose of the course is to develop innovative diagnostic and treatment techniques.
- The aim is to train instructors at the clinical/application level of biomedical engineering while considering consistency with education at the faculty/school level with an eye to completion during the master's program.
- The skill of applying understanding of the basic principles to actual techniques will be cultivated.
- n master's and doctoral studies, the ability to develop collaborative relationships with researchers and engineers from related fields and play a leading role in interdisciplinary research and development will be cultivated.
- International internships and other endeavors will be promoted to develop internationally oriented human resources that will play an active role in rolling out techniques to the global market, which is a weakness of Japan's healthcare industry.
Biomedical Engineering for Health and Welfare Course
- The purpose of the course is to explore the achievement of socio-biomedical system innovation.
- Human resources will be cultivated to take on fundamental innovation of medicine and medical treatments by addressing a wide range of social issues concerning medical treatment through basic education at the retraining and master's program level.
- Along with a deep mastering of the basic principles and techniques of biomedical engineering, a thorough understanding of laws, ethics and social issues related to medical treatments and biomedical engineering will be pursued.
- The career options of students will be diversified, including the obtaining of various social qualifications related to biomedical engineering or engaging in permit and license review work and management at public agencies, various permit, license and patent application work at corporations, administration work at medical institutions,
- International exchange with neighboring countries required with the changes in the social composition in Japan will be actively promoted.